Stephen B. Kass
Stephen B. Kass, Esq., CPA
Formerly employed by the international tax consulting firm of Deloitte & Touch, LLP., Mr. Kass has provided reliable counseling regarding sophisticated matters for years. He is admitted to the Bars of the States of New York and New Jersey as well as the Federal Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York.
He is a member of the New York County Bar Association, Nassau County Bar Association, and serves on the bankruptcy committees of these associations. He is also a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants, and the Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants.
He also has completed a Masters of Laws in Taxation at New York University School of Law. Currently, he serves on the Consumer Bankruptcy Committee of the New York County Lawyers Association and has given numerous lectures on the complexities of the interplay between the Internal Revenue and Bankruptcy Codes.
Mr. Kass advises clients in New York with respect to Bankruptcy problems, Tax problems, debt restructuring, corporate reorganizations, Tax Planning and deal structuring in New York, among his other services.
Mr. Kass is admitted to the following Courts:
1. United States Supreme court;
2. United States court of Appeals for the armed forces;
3. Eastern District New York;
4. Southern District New York;
5. New Jersey District Court.
1. New York State Court;
2. New Jersey State Court;
Mr. Kass is a member of the following professional organizations:
1. American Bankruptcy Institute;
2. New York County Lawyers Association;
3. Nassau Lawyers Association;
4. American Association of Attorneys-CPA’s;
5. American Institute of Certified Public Accountants;
Mr. Kass is an active member of the following committee’s:
1. Tax and Bankruptcy committee within NY County Lawyers Association
2. Tax and Bankruptcy committee within Nassau County Bar Association.
• Presided over multiple Chapter 11 §363 Sales of real estate, equipment, & leases;
• Commenced numerous adversaries against both the IRS and NYS to discharge and workout high tax debt; Either discharged fully or settled all.
• Successfully concluded multiple IRS Offers in Compromise both using the regular process as well as the appeals process;
• Successfully negotiated multiple out of court credit card workouts;
• Successfully concluded IRS & NYS installment plans;
• Filed Tax Court Petitions & settled all cases;
• Defended against Chapter 7 Trustee adversary proceedings as well as creditor adversary proceedings.
• Substantially reduced NYS sales tax debt in Chapter 11 case filed in Manhattan.
• Engaged by other business bankruptcy attorneys to deal with the IRS and NYS in their Chapter 11 cases.
• Confirmed Chapter 11 case in Brooklyn with over a $700K discount in payroll tax debt. Repayment period extended to double the amount as per the statute;
• Structured deal with IRS and NYS to reduce income taxes over $800K per Chapter 11 Plan in Long Island;
• Reduced Payroll tax debt by over $1.3M in Chapter 11 case in Brooklyn;
• Settled IRS adversary case with the IRS in Washington, D.C. for over a 2 Million reduction in Income tax Debt;
• Structured deal with NYS for Sales Tax Debt resulting in discounts with extended payment periods up to 10 years;